Monday, July 13, 2015

Life Post: That Time I Threw Up in Public

Trigger warning: Discussion of vomiting.

Oh, boy. My weekend wound up being "exciting." Since I told the story on Twitter (and a video which isn't up yet), I feel like I kind of have to tell it here too.

So, my church has a summer social every year, and every year I work at one of the booths. I had a two hour shift right in the middle of the afternoon. It's miserable every year, and I always feel like I'm sick from the heat afterwards. But nothing all that bad has ever happened before.

Yesterday, I felt fine for the first hour of working. In fact, I felt significantly better than I usually do. It was strange. I felt really hot, but it wasn't anywhere near the usual. Then, the second hour came, and for the first hour of that, I started feeling bad. However, it wasn't anything that worried me. It was just closer to what I normally felt.

At the beginning of the last half hour I was supposed to work, my mom and aunt wandered over and asked if I wanted a drink. I asked for lemonade; they went off to get it. It felt like they were gone for ages, but I know they weren't. I began to feel so terrible that I was glancing at my phone constantly to see how much time was left, and I could see that it was only minutes. Before they came back, I began to feel like I was going to faint. I'd never felt like I did before. I'd felt light-headed before sure, but my ears were ringing, which was new. I could tell that I wasn't going to be able to keep standing, and in a split second decision, I just squatted right down on the ground where I'd been standing. I didn't think I could walk to sit anywhere else without falling.

My mom and aunt came back, I told them how I felt and that I didn't think I could stand up. They rushed to get me a chair and got me into it. The lady in charge of the booth came back and told me to go ahead and leave because it was obvious I couldn't keep working. But I couldn't walk yet, so I had to sit there for a while longer while they forced the lemonade on me and whatnot.

Eventually, I felt better. Not great, but I didn't think I was in danger of passing out. I left the booth, but my mom had to go off and get something. I stayed with my aunt, and for a second, felt pretty okay. Right when my mom came back, I started realizing that I really wasn't going to be able to walk to our car, which was up a flight of stairs. (Ironically, our house is also within easy walking distance from the church, but luckily, my mom's and my aunt's cars were both there to transport stuff.)

Somehow, my family had impeccable timing that day, and that's right when my dad happened to show up. I told my mom I didn't think I could stand again, and she rushed to support me. As soon as she had her arm around me, I said, "I'm going to throw up." My stomach hadn't even been bothering me up until that point, and I wasn't gagging yet either. But it was one of those things where I just knew it was coming.

Like I said, that's right when my dad came over, and he, my mom, and my aunt rushed me a bit to the side. But I was still in plain view of everyone at the social, and according to my dad, I'd gotten a crowd by that point. I can't tell you how many people were actually watching because I had blinders on to everything except what was happening with me.

They'd just gotten me off the gravel onto grass when the gagging started. For quite a while (and I mean what felt like a while, in actuality it was probably less than a minute), I only gagged, and I started thinking I'd only dry heave. I hadn't puked in at least seven years before this, and I wasn't hoping to break that streak. It didn't feel like anything was going to come up.

But then it did, and I proceeded to vomit up my entire lunch. Not to go into the nasty details, but it felt like it took ages too. I'm pretty sure the food I'd eaten today felt like more coming up than it had going down.

Things were a lot better after that. They managed to get me to my aunt's car and get me home without anything else happening, and the only thing wrong with me when I got home was a massive headache. Not fun, but I'm glad that even once I ate more, the puking didn't happen again.

That might have been the most note-worthy thing to happen to me so far this summer, although that will hopefully change come tomorrow. I'll talk more about that later.

I posted a piece of flash fiction on my writing blog if you're interested. I did the Inside Out Book Tag over on Youtube, and I also did a vlog recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment